#87: Overflow Error 2: The Overflowening

Avoid Spikes, dogsounds, furry, webcomic, Foxx, work, Doctor Who, Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith, overflow error, syntax error

I can honestly say that although I thought Tennant played a fantastic Doctor, I was more than impressed with Eleven’s first outing. I am a creature of habit and so I am heavily allergic to any kind of change. As a result I set myself up mentally for massive disappointment with Eleven.  It is nice to be totally wrong from time to time.

My only complaints would be that the new theme tune is FUCKING AWFUL  – there pretty much isn’t one – and the title sequence is rubbish. Why is the Tardis whizzing through a tube of candyfloss? Apparently Moffat said he wanted the titles to show the Tardis having a tougher more hardcore journey through the wibbly wobbly, timey wimey intertubes of time and space, but they just look like fluffy clouds of candyfloss that “go a bit red after a bit”. Two thumbs down, Mr. Stephen Moffatt New Head Of Doctor Who And All That.

But the othe 59 and half minutes – Tommy says Two Thumbs Good! I think we have a winner, and I am stoked for the rest of this series – how can we possibly go wrong when there will be Spitfires in space with lasers? Fucking LASERS?

This man is a fucking genius.

(incidentally, you can actually get a swirly tie right here. As well Ten’s other tie, his brown pinstripe suit or even his coat).

COMPETITION TIEMZ! YAY!

Want to win yourself a piece of dogsounds merch absolutely free?  There’s a ridiculously hyper-obscure Dr. Who reference in the strip above – if you can find it and point it out, you can win your pick of any dogsounds merch (excluding the cameras). Simply comment below what the reference is, and where it comes from, and the first to get it is the winner.

Full competition rules and terms here, good luck!

Posted April 5, 2010 at 2:14 am | Permalink | Reply

lol xD

Maybe you should hit him upside the head with a hammer? Thats how to solve blue screens on a PC 😛

2. icallshogun
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 5:20 am | Permalink | Reply

So… Worth watching then?

• Posted April 5, 2010 at 10:54 am | Permalink | Reply

Is that you reading between the lines again?

• Squival
        Posted April 5, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Never got into the new Doctor. Who
        Still got the VHS of the old ones from when I was a kid, the new ones are good but I’m just not hooked

• Posted April 5, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

Gah! Are all our readers the wrong types of geeks?

Posted April 5, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

Maybe it’s an “English Thang” As a sidebar I didn’t think about the various TYPES of Geeks….since they DO breed I guess it makes sense. However is a Geek A Species, Genus or what? That’s for the Biology geeks (I used to be one but it all drained out of my BRANE since then, replaced my other stuff like passwords for a thousand “thingies” Maybe there is a Geek Family tree? “Bill Gates begat Steve Jobs, who begat Einstien” and so on) And at least here in the US they would rather be Geeks than Nerds….. Best buy has the “Geek Squad” with there specially=painted VWs and Scion Toasters

• icallshogun
            Posted April 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

Quantify “the wrong kind of Geek” for me, would you kindly?

Seriously though, I’ve been hearing nothing but good things (except for the intro) and I will be watching it just as soon as my weekend arrives.

Side note: Saw lots of 10th doctors out and about this weekend (Norwescon), but none with the Abbyshot coat.

• Posted April 5, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

It’s a fab coat, I woudn’t say screen accurate, but fab nonetheless. I am thinking of getting one of the lighter (and cheaper) faux-suede ones that are out there too, for when it gets too warm for a thick wool greatcoat.

3. Ladyfox
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 5:58 am | Permalink | Reply

And don’t forget he thing with the “Get back here!” and the “Oh, you sexy thing!” and the BOOM! and the “basically,… RUN” and …*Syntax error*… Yeah, that was just about my reaction too… Heee! A fox after my own heart(s)!

• Posted April 5, 2010 at 11:02 am | Permalink | Reply

lol, “basically…RUN!”, I loved that.

I wrote this before the episode had aired, so it was a challenge to make Foxx’s babble sound like he had seen the episode, without me actually having done so.

All I can say is thank frak I didn’t have this idea for Lost, I wouldn’t have stood a chance…

• Ladyfox
        Posted April 6, 2010 at 4:50 am | Permalink | Reply

So you’ve gotten to see it now? Good! 😀 Yeah, “Lost” refs would have lost me completely. Besides… do they even HAVE Technobabble-reverse the polarity of the neutron flow- type stuff on “Lost”?
        Brilliant job, for not having seen it when you drew this! 😀

Posted April 5, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Totally going out on a limb here. Foxx is wearing the Same coat as Ten wears. He stealed it cause it fits hims tail yes it do XD Slippery Foxx and his coat nabbing skills! And yes mentioning Dr. Who to certain people I know Will cause them to blue screen with excitement, get an erection, or pass out. Sometimes all three occur if it was a super Shuweeet episode O.o;

• Wulfie_V
      Posted April 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

And Yes I Did make the most Obvious observation. If that’s not it it Does have something to do with the “oh wow” to the “yeah right” part of the text. Just can’t pin down where that’s been said before. *shrugs*

• Posted April 5, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nope, that’s not the reference (or the speech bit either), but yes, Foxx is wearing a ten coat (‘cos I bought one). It’s WAAAAAY more obscure than that!

Next!

Posted April 5, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Id Dr Who is on here it is probably BBC America so I don’t see it….haven’t since Tom Baker! There was a guy at the Mall (yes, I actually went to a mall…whatever next) that had a pic of the Tardis on a T Shirt that said “You never forget your first Doctor. Unfortunately if you looked up “Dr Who Nerd” in the encyclopedia he would be right there. As for references what about the guy smoking a cig? IS that even legal any more? Maybve in the old Dr Whos they used to smoke?

• Posted April 5, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nope, that’s not it. It is VERY obscure, so I doubt anyone will get it. But I would like to be proven wrong 🙂

Posted April 6, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

hmmm you are both doing the whole vulcan V sign with your hands (paws) in frame one… or is that just crappy drawing of paws??

• Posted April 6, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wuith three fingers it’s hard not to look like a Vulcan salute, but it’s not that, and that’s the wrong franchise!

Posted April 6, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

hey you SAID obscure! I thort maybe Dr Who transmogrified onto the bridge of the Enterprise one time in one of the new episodes? If not then why not, there’s money to be made in TV crossovers!

• Posted April 6, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

apparently there *was* a plan for a Trek/Who crossover accroding to RTD, but it never came off. Now that would be a cracking idea.

• Ladyfox
                Posted April 7, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hee!!! The Doctor would SO PWN Q’s @$$…

6. icallshogun
    Posted April 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oooh, I got a guess! Wait… *reads rules* Yeah, I got a guess.

Foxx is wearing the 7th Doctors’ tie?

• Posted April 5, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

lol, no, that’s actually just a half-remembered facsimile of my actual work tie, which is just a regular tie 🙂

7. Camstone
    Posted April 6, 2010 at 1:13 am | Permalink | Reply

Obscure reference, Thing = Sonic Screwdriver > BSOD.

• Posted April 6, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

Waaaaaay more obscure then that, my old red-suited amigo.

Posted April 6, 2010 at 1:51 am | Permalink | Reply

I noticed that in the first panel the wolf guy has his hand in his pocket. Tenth seemed to like keeping his hand in his pocket. * shrugs * I haven’t seen many of the older Dr. Who episodes. Sadly I didn’t really get wind of it’s existence until the 9th doctor eps started airing. Then I had to go try to find older seasons with previous doctors to watch. I have only found a few here and there ( that I can afford currently ). I’m gunna keep going over and over this strip til I have something, or til I get brane cancer >.>;

• Posted April 6, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Old Doctor Who? If you;’re no0t too bothered about quality this guy has millions of them, each story arc lumped into a playlist:

• Posted April 6, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

And no, it’s not the pockets, but you do get a scooby snack for using the world “brane” in the style of dogsounds.

• Wulfie_V
        Posted April 7, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

-noms on teh scooby snack- And dear sweet sticky in pants! I shall have to take a look at this site!

9. Ladyfox
    Posted April 7, 2010 at 6:05 am | Permalink | Reply

Hmmm,… the tie the cat is wearing looks a bit like the Old console room roundels.

Posted April 8, 2010 at 4:02 am | Permalink | Reply

lol need a new O.S.
    wow a psicodelic tie

• Posted April 8, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

He probably has, like, fifteen instances of Google Updater running or something 🙂

11. Posted April 9, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

Just a wild guess.. But the cat in the right panel, maybe one of the cat people? He looks oddly like Thomas Kincade Brannigan from the episode Gridlock…

• Posted April 9, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nice try, but nah, too obvious. I dont’t think anyone is going to get it 🙂

• jose angel
        Posted April 10, 2010 at 5:42 am | Permalink | Reply

or a wmp updatet
        or …
        lol

Posted April 10, 2010 at 5:48 am | Permalink | Reply

T.T i don see the doctor who
    i want a lol fox product unaa sudadera
    si puedo adivinar , esta escondido en la segunda imagen T.T

• Posted April 10, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

He he, nope. And (here’e a clue) it’s NOT in the second panel) 🙂

• Wulfie_V
        Posted April 11, 2010 at 8:40 am | Permalink | Reply

There is No way in hell it’s the computer sitting in the background in panels 1 and 3. If that’s what you implying. If that Is the case then it’s my guess. Mmmhmm. Problem is I wouldn’t know exactly what episode that would be from >.<

13. josefox
    Posted April 10, 2010 at 6:28 am | Permalink | Reply

someone win the competition?
    or will be extended to the other strip?

• Posted April 10, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

No, no one has come close yet. I will seriously die of shock if someone does.

• mart
        Posted April 12, 2010 at 2:18 am | Permalink | Reply

I’ll be cross if I don’t win…

• Wulfie_V
          Posted April 12, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yikes we don’t want Mart getting cross! Runawayhide!

• Posted April 12, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

You can’t bloody abdicate, you’e the bloody Queen!

Posted April 12, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

Mart are you going to take that insult? hit ‘im with yer handbag then give him the “royal wave”

14. Ladyfox
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

ALL right, I’ve studied these panels and pixels until I’m crossed-eyed and dizzy… WHAT is this obscure Doctor Who reference?!?!?! Unless it’s something ON one of those computers screens that we can’t see…? The cat’s shirt is un-tucked a-la the eleventh Doctor in his premier episode? Fox-boy there is actually wearing Jamie’s kilt, maybe?!? (The pants are fake…) There’s a Sonic Screwdriver from 2’s era sticking out of a USB port on one of those computers??
    WHAT!?!?!?

• Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nuh-uh. No cluesies!

All will be revealed on May 1st if no-one gets it (and if I am sober/am awake/remember)

15. Posted May 15, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

AND THE WINNER IS…no-one!

The answer was the comic book compilation:

“Dr. Who And The Iron Legion”

In which the robot Roman legionnaires speak with “++” at the start and end of sentences. See, I TOLD you it was obscure 🙂

Posted May 17, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

oh yeah… that’s exactly what I was thinking but I thought it might have been too obscure. sigh…….

2 Trackbacks

1. […] in this weeks Avoid Spikes comic is a massively ridiculously hyper-obscure Doctor Who reference – if you can find it and are […]

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by dogsounds. dogsounds said: This week's 'Avoid Spikes' comic now online: http://wp.me/pznb5-ei […]