#91: The ’70s and ’80s Rocked Because Of…

Ah, growing up in the 1970’s and 1980’s. The most awesome time to be a kid. Before then you had fuck all, and it was always cold and gloomy. Everything was made of wood or Bakelite. After then, everything was safety-conscious and marketed up the wazoo.

When we grew up, the world was really just discovering plastic stuff, realistic toy weapons, electronics and foods laden with so many hyperactivity-inducing chemicals that I think most of us will take a thousand years to decompose. We were heartily encouraged to fall out of trees as much as possible and Action Man was an ACTUAL FUCKING SOLDIER.

There’s no way that the military industrial complex was not involved in the creation of Findus Crispy Pancakes.

1. josefox
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 5:27 am | Permalink | Reply

woow thousand years to decompose its so much time

an the mart ,toy nice.
    10 in to move
    but the cassic of clasic
    The nes its the best toy of this decade^^

• Posted April 19, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

He he, by the time the NES came out we were late teenagers, no longer children.

There is no place in happy memories for the teenage years. They are forgotten and never happened. There was lovely childhood and then disheartening adulthood, and nothing inbetween.

• mart
        Posted April 19, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

NES? Pff… Gimme Atari 2600!

Adulthood should be spent trying to recapture childhood! that’s why I have a cupboard full of junk I bought off ebay 😀

• Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

You know, you really need to bring that Vectrex around at some point.

And Atari 2600? PFFFT! Gimme Binatone pong console. Actually, remember that? It’s the one you jerry-rigged to take a modern power pack. LOL!

Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Isn’t Vectrex something you rub on your chest when you have a cold? Also Atari and Binatone reminded me… what was the Sinclair? I remember he (Clive Sinclair) made either a crappy computer or a game, and then went on to design some kind of crappy car. Enquiring minds want to know.

• Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ian had a ZX 81 (with 1K OF MEMORY!!!)

And I later had a Spectrum+

Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

At least nobody we know drove a C5 (I Wiki’d him to see more)

• josefox
                  Posted April 20, 2010 at 6:50 am | Permalink | Reply

a pogn arcade 😄
                  i win

in the next decade the 90’s i am pass all time whatching saint saya magic warriors and sakura card captor
                  ,, and playing so much nes n64 snes psx @.@
                  all people had a timess forgotten and never happened. and if you thinkin this is sad =(

• Posted April 20, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

The 90s? oh man, you missed out. The 90s were so…booooring 🙂

Posted April 19, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

lol 10/10 for Monster Munch

they gave me nightmares when I was a kid O_O

• Posted April 19, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

how on earth can monster munch give you nightmares??

Posted April 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

whoahhh! too many Flashbacks! Foxx I am sure you had a Steve Austin where you could look through the back of his head into the bionic eye? I don’t THINK it was mine or Ians? Hadn’t remembered Monster Munch though, is Mart displaying Calvin & hobbes or Homer Simpson-like eating habits? Like the shirts although someone should have had Mork & Mindy rainbow braces. At least we can’t see either of you in hot pants-type shorts. Apart from the stylophone what was that thing that was the “In toy” like a keyboard that you blew in to? It was green plastic. Not a Harmonium but something similar? Also count our blessings you were too young for streking, that is one strip I do NOT wish to see even if Young Foxx is cuter than the one we are used to!

• Posted April 19, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

It was my bionic man, and yes it had the bionic eye thing as well as the grabby hand.

The music thing was – well, I have no idea what they were called, but it was a grey mini keyboard that had a blowy mouthpiece on it – basically a big-ass kazoo with two and a half octaves and a spit button. I think it was made by Hohner.

Posted April 19, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

That’s it! The grabby hand…wasn’t there a plate in the leg that came off too so you could see the “bionics”? And did he make the “bionic” noise somehow? Ahhhh yes Action man when he was manly. Still no man parts since we didn’t want to see THOSE when we put him in his manly leather village people outfits. Didn’t you used to have “Icecapades” action man Foxx?? Or was it tha Mikeal Baryshnikov version?
        eeeuuuuw yes now I think there was a spit button though I am sure it had a nicer name like “Phlegminator” or the German equivalent “Schpittelflinguhrer”

• Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Icecapades? What? Fie and pish! My Action Man was HARDCORE and solely rooted in the only war that mattered to a seven-year old in the 1970’s – WWII. He had a choice of Allied (British) WWII commando, Allied (American) WWII paratrooper, Axis (German) WWII Heer infantry or some sort of not-quite WWII scuba outift. And not only did the German outfit come with little pin medals for the uniform and stickers for the stahlhelm, it also had an awesome MP40 SMG and the whole belt and webbing thing. AND stick grenades

Fuck, Action Man used to be fucking awesome. I used to have a flatbed truck for Action Man with openy doors, full framed tilt and everything, and I would play “Raiders Of The Lost Ark Truck Chase Scene” with a few of them. God, those were the days.

Nowadays kids get some fucking pussy-whipped, nanny-state lame bright-colored outfit Eco-warrior jetski non-harmful weapons bullshit. Fuck that, Give him back an awesome scar, Eagle Eyes and a goddam sub-machine gun, and dump the lah-de-dah jetski for a Scorpion tracked tank or a German motorbike and sidecar (with MG42)and let the kids today be normal.

Jeez. No wonder kids today are all brain-dead mouth breathers with ASBO’s. They’re all bored shitless.

Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

No, no Foxx… tell us how you REALLY feel!
            Agreed I think it was you that had the butt-kicking Scorpion Tank? Seems like the tracks came off in a week and the turret got blown off so it drove round the garden topless for a couple of years? I think I had the Mortar /bazooka launcher, Ian had a sailor suit on his (no comment…..). Also the Action Men need to do a class action lawsuit against whoever made the parachutes as I never yet saw one work!

• Posted April 19, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

Actually saw a parachute Action Man hanging off an overhead telephone wire the other day – brought back the memories 🙂

Posted April 19, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

It is a Hohner Soprano Melodica! I won’t mess up your page with a link but in google images there is the military camo green one just like back in the day! I bet Action Man used to play it for the Bionic Man

• mart
          Posted April 19, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

That name is just full of win… and a spit button!

• Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Dammit man, post that link, don’t make your fellow readers do the Google thing – that’s like unwarranted excercise!

Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

you axed for it!!! BTW holy crap it’s almiost $90 for one….. quick, batman… to the attic!

Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

oops you need to design a bigger internet, sorry!

• Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

tinyurl.com is your friend, amigo 🙂

• Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ours is actually a bit classier that that one. I am actually looking at it as we speak.

This is ours, a Hohner Melodica Piano 26: http://tinyurl.com/y7bdk

Posted April 19, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

errr I get some HP software screen…..
                  Anyway I googled it and looks almost the same, bet it sounds as good as it loooks (!) Sure hope someone drained the spit out of it 30 years ago though

4. icallshogun
    Posted April 19, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nerf is making some pretty nice guns these days. They at least have always made foam crap… But they haven’t always made a belt-fed, tripod mounted machine gun. Swords and axes, too. Just saying.

The rest of the toys now, it is unreasonable. Zhuzhu pets? Are you shitting me? Get a real hamster! They cost just as much and teach important life lessons about cannibalism. Bananagrams? Come on. And what the hell is a bakugan?

• Posted April 20, 2010 at 12:01 am | Permalink | Reply

I have no understanding of anything you just mentioned there.

My day was Star Wars figures, Evel Knievel action figure and truck/bike, stuff alredy mentioned and the oh-so-early-days of videogames and handheld games. And the toy guns in my day…well, the one I coveted that my friend had a Lee Enfield, metal and wood, that actually had the bolt and everything. Now THEY were toy guns.

What the fuck is a bananagram?

• icallshogun
        Posted April 20, 2010 at 4:45 am | Permalink | Reply

It’s no wood and metal Enfield, which sounds pretty sweet, and the colors are… bright, but it’s a blast to use.

It’s like scrabble, I think. In a banana. I’ve never done anything but sneer at it in disdain when I notice them at the store.

Posted April 20, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

zhuzhu pets were the rage at Xmas only because “they” were running low at Toy stores hence the sudden panic “gotta get one”… like cabbage patch dolls and so on ad infinitum every Xmas. I think the coolest touy Chris had (I think) was a “Johnny Seven” which fired anoyut every missile possible at other boys and had a bayonet just in case the machine gun didn’t work. It also had a tripod on the barrel! We had revolvers ij real leather holsters that had those round plastic caps in so you didn’t look like a pussy with a roll of paper caps hanging out. See what we grew up with? and none of us becaus gun-toting murderers (plus we watched all those “violent” cartoons too!)

• mart
          Posted April 20, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Official announcement:
          icallshogun receives this month’s dogsounds Special Award for 1Up Elite Obfuscation Skill! There’s a mandala on its way in the post 😀

Posted April 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

??? A mandala seems to be some kind of tibetan thing , probably for poseurs like richard gere who are all buddhists and have prayer flags over their swimming pools. We have a Mancala (the wooden African marble gamne thingy). It is a few hundred years old and was carried into battle against the Armada, it is a “Nelson Mancala”
            Do I win $5?

• icallshogun
            Posted April 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hooray! I don’t know what I did! Where am I? Where’s my wife? HOW DO YOU KNOW MY NAME?!

Oooh, I have been needing a physical representation of the collective unconscious, though.

• Posted April 20, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wait, what, who did what now? I have no idea where this thread went.

• icallshogun
                Posted April 20, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Let us consult the mandala. It’ll tell us something.

*stares at circle on the floor*

I’m not getting anything.

• Posted April 20, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

I dont read messages in the mandala.

My coffee tells me things. What about you, Zach?

2 Trackbacks

1. […] back and relive the halcyon days with this week’s strip right here. This entry was written by dogsounds, posted on April 18, 2010 at 9:16 pm, filed under art, […]

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by dogsounds. dogsounds said: Avoid Spikes #91: The '70s and '80s Rocked Because Of…: http://wp.me/pznb5-eP […]