#93: Sucky Design

Posted April 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Nice to see that even with the quickies Mart’s expression is still hilarious!

2. josefox
    Posted April 23, 2010 at 7:40 am | Permalink | Reply

true the new motion sistem
    (the copy of the wii control)
    looks loke a lolipop
    and sso big lolipop *¬*

Posted April 23, 2010 at 8:00 am | Permalink | Reply

It’s not Quite a copy. It works on a similar idea, except it uses the lights on the top of the unit in conjunction with the PS3 camera system. It Is the same concept, just done in a slightly different way. In other words Sony made the “same” thing using a different method essentially avoiding copyright infringement on the patent for the Wii mote control. I like the idea, and the PS3 is much more capable then the Wii system in many ways. If Sony does this properly and gets the right game companies on board, they could bank quite well on this.

• icallshogun
      Posted April 23, 2010 at 10:40 am | Permalink | Reply

I still feel like it’s a gimmick and I’m not sure how well it will do even with good game support. I say that because I think cost of entry may not be prohibitive (less than $100, apparently) but simply that cost of entry exists. Maybe it’ll be awesome with SoCom, but if it’s shell out an extra bill or just use my pre-existing-though-not-as-shiny-motion-sensing-controller for free, I would be inclined to keep using my free controller.

Now, taking (another) page from Ninty ala Wii Sports Resort, Move as a pack-in with SoCom or something similar could do something for user uptake.

• Wulfie_V
        Posted April 23, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Isn’t everything the gaming companies roll out some sort of gimmick? MMO’s usually either charge you monthly, or have a system to leech your money for cool in-game items. The Wii started the motion thing so far as the nun-chuck type controls. Problem is the system only comes with a Wii-mote but no nun-chuck to compliment? I assume Sony will also market the 2-part control in 2 separate packages. Cash cow babeh! And That would be a good idea to move it as a pack-in on a game or two. It would make it a sort of “lesser” blow to the wallet to get a game And control for $60

• icallshogun
          Posted April 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Some things are significantly more gimmicky than others. Wireless controllers could be considered a gimmick, but they feel a whole lot like a necessity nowadays.

Motion control might be the necessity of the next generation of consoles, but I don’t think Move or Natal will do anything other than give developers an idea where the next generation is going.

One Trackback

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by dogsounds. dogsounds said: Avoid Spikes Quickies #93: Sucky Design: http://wp.me/pznb5-f7 […]